Home | What's New | Challenge for Change | Links | Archive | About | Site Map
KEW COTTAGES COALITION
Welcome to www.kew.org.au
Welcome to ...
Make a statement in a 4Kew T-shirt - Click here to order -
The Challenge for Change. << 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 NOW! >>
Kew Cottages Coalition Reg # A0044698
When will Daniel Andrews remind Lang Walker about Von Mueller's vision for Kew ?
'there is simply no need to turn a park into a housing development.."
Daniel Andrews, Victorian Premier. (ABC TV News 18.4.18)
Our Community Park Concept
Many of both von Mueller's papers, and Linaker's landscape plans of Willsmere and Kew Cottages have unfortunately not survived.
So our Community Park proposal has been based on reflecting what we do know of von Mueller's and Linaker's objectives, by
1. Removing Walker's temporary site office;
2. Publicly labelling all of the remaining significant trees (As Boroondara Council is already doing in its Maranoa Australian Native Botanic Gardens)
3. Identifying missing elements of the original design with reference to archival documents and photographs;
4. Replacing those trees lost from the original design with suitable rare and endangered pine species; (eg: the rare Bishop's Pine that Walker removed in 2006)
5 Adding a picnic and children's play area to help commemorate the lost fabric of the Kew Childrens Cottages school and gymnasium;
6. Complementing the two existing memorials with a peaceful reflection and reading area.
7. Adding visitor signage and heritage interpretation for the Arboretum, Willsmere, Yarra Bend Park, and the whole of the original Asylum Reserve (1860- )
1945 Aerial photograph (Walker Dev Stage 8) (Source:Melbourne University
Suggested Plantings of Threatened Species to replace lost Trees (See Plan A, and 1945 Aerial photograph above.)
> Download Print Version here
Pinus muricata (Bishop's Pine)
Aa Araucaria araucana (Monkey Puzzle)
Co Callitris oblonga ssp. oblonga (South Esk Pine)
Feedback: If you see any errors or have any questions or suggestions on what is shown on this website, please let us know so that we can correct or extend the information provided.Mail comments or questions to us here
Privacy: we will comply with Privacy legislation in the State of Victoria in handling all personal
information . Unless you advise us otherwise, you agree that we may make the information you
provide available for the above purposes to the independent disability groups CIPAID (Concerned
Individuals and Parents Action on Intellectual Disability), the Disability Network., and the Kew
Cottages Parents Association. Personal information will not be used for any other purposes [more..]
Every effort is made to ensure the accuracy of the electronic information presented on this site.
However, Kew Cottages Coalition accepts no responsibility for any loss occasioned to any person
acting or refraining from action as a result of the material presented in this service.
What's New | Challenge for Change | Links | Archive | Index
© 2003 Kew Cottages Coalition
Reg # A0044698H